Aug 8, 2015

Mermaid tail tutorial

Hi guys! As I promised, here is the tutorial of making a mermaid tail, and all in one the Shirahoshi (One Piece character) costume/cosplay.

First of all, I need to inform you, this is a low budget cosplay(it was only 3500HUF without the wig, only materials), also I'm not even close to be a professional, so please don't judge! An enjoy the tutorial :) 

Materials you need:

  • an old sheet
  • bra
  • gold-coloured material
  • sewing skill - I don't have any:D 
  • glitters
  • colourful polifoam thingie 
  • hot glue
  • wire
  • paint

1.The tail's base:
Measure and sew the old sheet to your size around your legs. It has to be a perfect fit, soyou can't move in it at all. Ididn't made a tutorial about it, cuz it wasa shitty work of mine :D Basically wat happened : I grabber the sheet, wrapped it around me like a burito and sewed it on myself as it was :X If you don't wanna be as dumb as me, watch and follow these tutorials https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk17hWW9uGY    There are so many,so you can choose whatewor you like or found easy. - these tutrials are mostly just one fabric tutorials , our tail is a scaled one.

2.The scales : 
Hardest thing I've ever made! Since I can't sew well, my fingers were full of bruises, but in the end.. totally worth it!
The method to create the scales is easy. Take some colourfull polifoam sheets...
...cut out the scales (for my tail, there were more than 500 and 3 different sizes)...


...take a cartboard sheet , put it under the material (makes sewing easier)...

...clip it ...
...grab these babies....

... Jam them on that stuff! 


Somehow like this ...


Continue till it looks something like this. Watch your fingers! 


It doesn't have to be prtty, just have to do its job! 


And it's job is to look amazing from the outside! :D



yeah..kinda amizing.... the size differences made it harder!  



3.The 'floating' bra:
The character who I cosplayed has a really special and difficult bra-type. It's not even a type, but it looks cool. And its kinda easier to make than I thought (or just the consumed beer made it easier :D ) 

I don't really have proper instructions for this, jsut wrap it up, pin it down, sew it together! Glue the wire to the padding (inside the bra) wrap it up with materials, sew sew sew.... Figure it out! I don't even know what I did, it just...sortof.. happened :D 







LAst but not least glue some glitter or flitter on the bra.

TADAAA! 

4. The fin:
The scales were hard to sew..... it was a totally pain in the ass!!! I used some kind of rubber silicone kindof thing..... it was a mistake! I couldn't sew that thins so I had to poke each and every hole to get it togehter, cuz I only had smaller pieces. Find/buy a bigger piece! Save yourself! 


DUH!
That thing around my feet is net.
 This stuff was really amateur! but I dind't had time and material to make it look beter. Honestly, I just glued a pice of cloth on this thingand spray painted some pink stripes on it. Also I sew the fin to the other part, it was a shitty work, it dind't really held it. I suggest doing one more layer, a base layer made of plastic net or something to hold the fin's weight!
And if you don't need a strond fin, just put a cartboard in it and duh.....

5. Makeup:
Fully experimental stuff. For the actual cosplay I used fake lashes too.




Contaclens are optional, I didn't had money for those :/ 

Finally, It's time to put a wig on it :D 

The finished product: 

close enough XD 
For more pics, visit the previous article: http://armindoyle.blogspot.hu/2015/07/mondocon-2015.html
and/or tumbrl:(soon!)

If you liked it, please five it a like and/or subscribe/follow my work somewhere where you can :3  

Have fun with cosplay or dressup or halloween or anything in your life!  





No comments:

Post a Comment